11.18.2011

Raising A Reader

This post is courtesy of my husband. He called me a bibliophage last night.
I love to read. I have always liked reading. Not always loved.
I want my girls to have a "want" for reading. Last year in second grade Ainzli had to log 250 minutes of independent reading each month. Seemed overwhelming at first. Turns out it got me motivated to make sure the girls read something everyday. I read to them when they were little. I still read to Lillie. Sometimes Ainzli and I will read together. I don't do the everyday reading by requirement. I do it by being sneaky, or at least I try most of the time. I am hoping they don't realize what I am doing. Then before they know it, they will have a longing to read.








Another motivator. Ainzli is reading the Harry Potter series. I am reading them with her. With this series I am comfortable with her reading the book first. Then I read it. Other books I am not sure about, I will read first. Her and I are enjoying it. We keep each other motivated and have fun doing it. This is also another way for me to check her comprehension. Or for her to check mine!:)

Side Note: At Parent/Teacher conference for Ainzi this fall her teacher gave me a whole bunch of "stuff" to keep the learning going on at home. One quote in a pamphlet really caught my eye. "In third grade kids are still learning to read. Fourth grade they are reading to learn."

Have a great weekend.

Autumn:)

No comments:

Post a Comment