7.19.2013

Lesson Learned: Volume 2


Learning. It is an on going event. You must work harder at it, I believe, as you get older. Who wants to become that older person that is "set in their ways". Not me, that's for sure.
Learning has been pretty hard core for our little women, lately. Hence, this post.
So the learning curve for Ms. Ainzli lately, has been that dang iPod!

It all starts at Best Buy. I am looking at possibly taking advantage of my upgrade. So I let the girls browse. They told me they were going to look at movies and then the tablets. Great, I say. Don't think a thing about.
Fast forward about a week and a half later.........
Our home phone rings at 11:00. In the pm. I am like, who the heck is calling at this hour! Right? Nothing good is coming from a call at this hour.
It is Riley's mom. You know, the little boyfriend. Oh golly! She proceeds to inform me that Riley got some extremely explicit text messages from Ainzli's iPod. What? How? What time? Tell me! My heart is in my throat. I am asking her all sorts of questions. She tells me what they are. She informs me that she KNOWS that they are not from Ainzli. She tells me it seems like she may have been hacked. They talk about unmentionable things. About goats. About body parts. About Best Buy.? Hhmmmm.
I tell her thank you so much. We talked for a couple minutes. I now know that this is a mama that I can talk too. Awesome!
So I grab the iPod and I read the text messages. Oh! My! Gosh!
I wake up Ainzli. I don't let her read them, but I tell her about it. She said, "Oh Mom, I am so embarassed." Good! Great! (Didn't say that, but I was thinking it). Ok, so how did this happen. We talked. We were brain storming. Then it hits me. Best Buy...........


Me: Ainzli, did you log 
into one of the tablets at Best Buy?
 You know, last week when 
we went there for my phone stuff

Ainzli:   No.....

Me:  Best Buy was mentioned in the texts. Think.

Ainzli: Oh my gosh. Mom, I logged into the iPad mini.

Me: Well, Sis, did you log out? I am guessing no.



We changed all of her passwords that night. I called Best Buy in the morning. And sure enough, her iMessaging was up and all exposed. Nick logged her out. He restarted the iPad mini. Thank you, Nick.
That morning we had a major discussion about public technology.




Me:    You never log into anything personal on a public device. 
You never even log into your personal stuff on a friends device. 
It only takes one time. 
Even your closest friends could think a joke is innocent and it goes horribly wrong.
 You can use your personal accounts on our home computers, your Dad's device, my device and yours. Do you understand? 
You need to take stock in this experience. 
You need to always remember this. 
Please always be careful. So much more is said on social media than most people would ever say face to face. Always, Always, Always be aware. 
I love you, Ainzli Isabel. 
Do you understand what I am telling you?

Ainzli:  Yes, Mom. I understand.



Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She apologized to Riley. He was so gracious. It was sweet.
I think it sank in. I surely hope so!:) 


No comments:

Post a Comment