7.09.2013

Lesson Learned

Wow. This has been a week of lesson learning around these parts. And given this being a Tuesday, it was truly jam packed into 1 day. Bless you Monday, July 8 and all of your infinite wisdom.

The story starts, at a local supermarket, on July 5. We were rushing around. Seems like we are always doing that. We, the little women and myself, were checking out. I did notice Lillie playing with a slap bracelet, but didn't think twice about it. I just thought it was one of those toys she would put back as soon as we left. Right? Wrong! Ainzli gets the van all loaded up, it was like a monsoon out, so all actions were extra rushy.  We are cruising down the road and Ainzli asks Lillie where the bracelet came from? Lillie said that someone left it at the checkout. Huh? So she thought since some other child left their toy at the store that it now becomes hers. Oh golly! Very calmly, I told her that they sold them at the store. That one just happened to be by its self at the checkout.
Tears ensued. As well as hysteria. She freaked out. She yells, "I didn't steal it!! I didn't know!!" She asked why we were yelling at her. At this point, neither myself nor Ainzli had said a word. We kind of let her go. You know, so she could get it all out. Then we could talk.
I told her that I believe her. I do. I told her that I was proud of her reaction. That feeling she has in the pit of her stomach, it is a wonderful gift from God. That she should always listen to it. If she starts to stifle that little voice it will become harder to hear.




So the bracelet stays in the van, until yesterday. It must be returned, along with an explanation. That is what honest people do. That is being Christ like and showing Jesus and anyone else that we own up to our mistakes. We talked about the return. There were numerous tears again. There were questions about why I couldn't be the one to tell the manager. About why, it had to be this day. She was scared. I don't blame her. She and I got out of the van. She started to tear up. I told her she would be able to talk better if she didn't let them fall. She was strong. None fell. We approached the Customer Service desk and I asked for a manager. He came. He looked at us. I said hi. Lillie handed me the bracelet and I handed it right back. I told her to go ahead. She told him:

"We were shopping at the other store. I saw this bracelet by the checkout. I didn't know that you sold them. I thought someone had left it. I took it. I am giving it back. I am really sorry."

He was dumbfounded. He just stared at her. He finally, after like 30 seconds, said thank you. Then he smiled a big smile. I said thank you back. My Lillie Blue and I walked, hand in hand, out of the store. I was almost in tears, I was so proud of her. I stopped to hug her and she calmly told me, "not here."  We did not talk about it afterwards. She is funny that way.

I love being a mama. I love giving it my all. I did not want my Lillie Blue to be so upset, it broke my heart, but I knew this is what had to be done. I hope this lesson sticks with her. I hope she goes the distance in honesty and integrity. I love you my Boo. I love you so much.





2 comments:

  1. this is precious, thank you for letting us into your little corner of the world...

    ReplyDelete