10.04.2011

Handy Photo Tuesday: A Template

Instagram is so much fun. I am loving the new update. It is much easier and seems to be a little faster (the shutter speed). There would be times I would get frustrated with "missing" the shot.
I have a little over 600 pictures/videos on my phone. It is my camera for most of the day to day shots. A "Handy" little point and shoot.
The other day I was going through some old pictures that Shannon's mom gave him. There have been quite a few different sizes of standard prints over the years. There was the 3x3 inch square. The 3x3 inch square with rounded edges. These two are from the late 70's and 80's. I do like the square. Now there is the standard 4x6 or 3.5x5, these have been the standard for quite sometime. Then there is the Polaroid. The lovely Polariod. The picture that comes directly out of your camera. Instantly. With an ok product. The best part for me is the cool size and border it produces.

The entire Polaroid print is 3.5 x 4.25. The white border on the three sides is about an 1/8 of an inch. The bottom is about 3/4 of an inch. The actual picture is about 3.15x3.15 inches.  I realize this is really boring information, but there is a point.
I am going to convert my Instagram photos into Polaroid like photos!!!! How totally cool. I am super excited. It is going to be kind of time consuming, but I just know that it will be worth it.

Below is my template. It will be a 3.5x5 inch print. Here I can get a print for .19! In Photoshop, I am  dragging my Instagram shot onto this template. Adjusting it with free transform. I put the edges of the file inside the red lines. In Photoshop the red lines are just guides. Here, for the example, I actually painted them in. If you would be interested in the "real" template just let me know. I would be more than happy to email it to you. The bottom black rectangle is the part I will have to cut off once I have the prints. I then save it. And poof, a Polaroid in the making. It will be time consuming. I am sure I could look hard enough and find a print place that would do it all for me. But here's the thing: I have to do it on the budget. You know? Maybe you don't know. Lucky you!:)






Here are a couple of examples. The top and two sides are nicely inside the invisible guides. So the white around the edge will be perfect. The bottom will need to be trimmed. I will do this with my slide cutter. Not sure if that is the correct name, but that's what I call it.










When all is said and done they will be up on a shelf in a little wooden crate like box. Easily accessed by growing little women. Just another little way to have our day to day's on hand for years to come.
Oh yes. And by the way. If you know of somewhere on the far edges of the beautiful world wide web of a Polaroid making place please let me know. I would check it out in a heartbeat.!

Autumn:)

No comments:

Post a Comment