11.23.2010

And They Feasted!




Today is a day Ainzli and her second grade class have been anticipating for quite sometime. They had a grand feast for their Thanksgiving/Indian unit. It was held in the gym, all 186 kids sitting Indian style on the floor, in front of the decorations they made. Food was brought in by the parents, put together and set-up by the parents; with the teachers guidance, of course. The feast consists of the 2nd grade and they are dressed up as the Indians. The 3rd grade are the Pilgrims, dressed in full Puritan garb. 

Ainzli came home and already stated that next year she will be a Pilgrim. "Can we please stay in second grade for as long as possible sis, no more third grade talk!", I say. She smiles her quarky little smile all the while thinking "Wow, my Mom is nuts". She would never say that, but I truly believe she thinks it quite often.


Here is the feast.  Apples, Carrots, Celery, Cornbread, Banana Bread, Summer Sausage and Popcorn.
There was so much food in the beginning, I thought, how will it all get eaten. By the end of the feast it was gone.
186  2nd and 3rd grade kids consume a massive amount of food!

Mrs. Clements set up a teepee in their room, and they have made so many Indian (just so you know I like to call them Native Americans, but at school they call them Indians so that is what I have called them in this entry) crafts over the past couple of weeks. I go in to volunteer on Fridays for "centers", and this past Friday we decorated their Indian vests. These vests were white t-shirts that were either coffee or tea soaked before they were sent in, then the arms were cut off and cut into strips on the bottom.  They had beads, feathers, sequins (very authentic!), and markers to decorate them with.

What a blessing to apart of such an amazing school. We have a principal, teachers, aides, and volunteers that make it a wonderful place for my daughter to apart of. Definitely one on my blessings this Thanksgiving.

 One of my top blessings is obviously seated directly below.

Meet "Mia".
The kids were able to choose their own Indian name and Ainzli chose "Mia". (My-ah) 
I'm not sure that is an Indian name, but she is completely convinced and that is all that matters.


The vest. I tell you what, the hot glue gun could fix the Leaning Tower of Pisa!
The creativity was perpetuated in this craft. The vest really looks fantastic.

This is just one of the amazing experiences my daughter gets to have at school.
Happy Thanksgiving to All!

No comments:

Post a Comment