9.13.2011

Fishing

Am I fishing? Not going to the river fishing. Not fishing for fish.
Am I a fisher of men?
I don't know. I want to be. I long to be. I need to be.

All of these thoughts were brought up this Sunday as I was listening to Pastor Sam. He challenged us to, "Go-It's Our Universal Calling". Put yourself out there. "Going" is a planned out calling. The church is to reach out to the lost. We should not and cannot expect them to come to us.
Am I putting myself out there to say hey, "I am a believer. I am His. I would love to see you in church this Sunday."? Even as I am writing this I think, not really. I am pretty good. I sure hope I am. I stay in my little bubble. Safe, secure, not many bumps; bubble. Rarely, do I do that step further. That step out of my comfort zone. Why not? I could name you a handful of reasons why I don't. But there is one sentence that is playing on repeat in my mind since late Sunday morning. "Autumn, be My hands and feet." He is tugging on my heartstrings. I am concerned about the "lost", but I don't go out of my way to reel them in. I do not fish for them.
I suppose the opposition that I will meet will be uncomfortable, even embarrassing. I will be rejected. I could possibly be ridiculed a few times. I am pretty sure someone before me knows all of this and still chose to die for us. All of us. I know there will be times I will have the best of intentions and then I will do nothing. I will fail. I will fall. Will I stay down? No. I will pick myself up, knowing that I can do all things through Him who gives me strength. Through this strength through these experiences, new opportunities will arise. When I go I will get.

Here's a throw back to my Sunday school days. Singing was my favorite part of Sunday morning. I remember pretending like we were casting our rods. And each time we repeated it, the song, it would grow louder. He was there. In those days. Planting a seed. In that little Quaker church on a back road in Indiana.


"I will make you fishers of men. Fishers of men. Fishers of men. I will make you fishers of men, if you follow Me. If you follow Me. If you follow Me. I will make you fishers of men, if you follow Me."




No comments:

Post a Comment